Breakfast fruit salad is light, nutritious & sweet. Combine tender & chewy Instant Pot pearl barley with cut fruit & a quick OJ vinaigrette. Kid-approved!
- 1 cup pearl barley, rinsed
- 2 1/4 cup water
- pinch salt
- 1 orange, peeled & sliced
- 2 cups strawberries
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 cups grapes
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios
- 1/3 cup 100% orange juice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Rinse pearl barley under running water.
- Add to Instant Pot with water and salt.
- Set to “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” for 25 minutes (high altitude: 30 minutes).
- The Instant Pot will take a few minutes to come to pressure, then begin counting down the time.
- When the 25 minutes is done, let it natural release pressure for 15 minutes.
- Pour contents through a strainer over the sink, to drain the excess water.
- In a small cup or jar, whisk together OJ, apple cider vinegar and olive oil.
Assemble Fruit Salad
- Fill a large serving bowl with the cut fruit.
- Use a serving spoon to make a hole in the center.
- Scoop cooked pearl barley into the center (hot or cold).
- Pour OJ vinaigrette over fruit & barley.
- To cook pearl barley on the stovetop: Bring 3 cups water or broth to boil. Add 1 cup Pearl Barley, reduce heat and simmer for 50 to 60 minutes.
- This recipe is suitable for vegans & vegetarians.
- Storing leftovers: Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. The acidic vinaigrette keeps fruit fresh. Delicious served hot or cold!
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pearl barley, fruit salad