When you want vegan fajitas but your family insists on meat, these cheap vegan fajitas please everyone. One pan, drive-thru prices & BOLD flavor!
5:30pm is one of the most stressful times for me. Jeremy & I are both done with work and are brainfried. My 9yo is hangry from after-school activities. Honestly… I just wanna put jammies on and eat a frozen burrito. And sometimes we do!!! But after years of experimenting, I finally have some “old standby’s” I can throw together without even needing a recipe. Fast, cheap dinner that pleases my vegetarian self AND my carnivore family.
This recipe is cheaper than Taco Bell…
only $1.25 per vegan fajita!
Sheet-pan fajitas for mixed-diet families: Beans, veggies and chicken all broil on a sheet pan. Smash some avocado. Everyone assembles their fajitas how they like.
Mixed-diet families: Here’s a tip for preparing this dish for both veg & meat eaters in one family!
Let’s Make Vegan Fajitas (and Maybe Chicken Fajitas, too!)
Facebook Live Recipe Video
Step-by-Step Recipe Photos
Move baking rack to the very top position, and set oven to broil.
In a small bowl, combine half of the fajita seasoning packet with cumin, smoked paprika, garlic powder and salt to taste.
If cooking chicken, marinate chicken strips in oil & 1 Tbsp seasoning mix while slicing veggies.
Use foil (or parchment paper) to make 1 big section and 2 small sections, so the ingredients don’t mix.
Add onion, peppers and mushrooms to the larger section. Drizzle with 1 tsp oil and 2 tsp seasoning mix.
Broil veggies for about 10 minutes. They should be softened but not charred yet.
While the veggies broil: Cut lime into wedges. Cut open the avocado and remove pit. Using a spoon, scoop the avocado into a small bowl. Squeeze one lime wedge into the avocado. Add a pinch of salt. Smash with a spoon.
Add chicken to one smaller section of foil. Add beans to the other, with a small drizzle of oil and 1 Tbsp of seasoning.
If your family loves spicy, kick things up with a splash of hot sauce on the beans and chicken!
Broil for 5 more minutes.
Serve with warm tortillas, smashed guacamole and salsa.
Cheap Vegan Fajitas Shopping List
Click COPY. Open your notes app. Paste. Easy shopping list! ⇩
SHOPPING & PRICE LIST
$0.86 1 green bell pepper
$1.78 1 red bell pepper
$0.79 1 yellow onion
$1.89 12 oz white/button mushrooms
$1.50 1 avocado
$0.25 1 lime
$1.89 10 medium flour tortillas (or corn tortillas)
$1.89 10 oz salsa
$0.80 14 oz pinto beans
$0.87 1 pkg taco seasoning
(OPTIONAL) $6.00 1-1.5 lb boneless, skinless chicken
10 VEGAN FAJITAS = $12.52 total, $1.25 each
10 CHICKEN FAJITAS = $18.52 total, $1.85 each
* Pantry staples that are not included in cost: olive oil, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, hot sauce, salt & pepper
Tips for Perfect Vegan Fajitas
- Use pre-sliced peppers and onions to save time (but increase cost).
- Perfect dish to use up leftover cooked tofu, steak, chicken or pork.
- Low-carb: use lettuce leaf cups instead of tortillas
- Store veggies separate from tortillas.
- Reheat in the oven, toaster oven or microwave.
When you want vegan fajitas but your family insists on meat, these cheap fajitas please everyone. One pan, drive-thru prices & BOLD flavor!
- 1 envelope fajita seasoning
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt, to taste
- 2 1/2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 12 oz white/button mushrooms, halved
- 14 oz pinto beans, drained
- 1 avocado, halved and scooped
- 1 lime, cut in wedges
- 10 medium flour tortillas (substitute corn tortillas for GF)
- Optional: 1 to 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Set oven to broil.
- In a small bowl, combine half of the fajita seasoning packet with cumin, smoked paprika, garlic powder and salt (to taste).
- In one bowl, toss and marinate chicken strips in 1 Tbsp oil & 1 Tbsp seasoning mixture. In a second bowl, toss and marinate drained pinto beans in 1 Tbsp oil and 1 Tbsp seasoning mixture.
- Cover 2/3 of the baking sheet with foil, folding the internal edge up to make divider. Use foil to make 2 smaller sections in the remaining 1/3 of the baking sheet. You’re basically making a big version of a microwave meal plate! 1 big section and 2 small sections, so the ingredients don’t mix.
- Add onion, peppers and mushrooms to the larger section. Drizzle with 1/2 Tbsp oil and 1/2 Tbsp taco seasoning. Broil for 8 minutes. Toss veggies.
- While the veggies broil: Cut lime into wedges. Cut open the avocado and remove pit. Using a spoon, scoop the avocado into a small bowl. Squeeze one lime wedge into the avocado. Add a pinch of salt. Smash with a spoon.
- Add chicken to one smaller section of foil. Add beans to the other section.
- Return to oven. Broil the whole pan for 8 more minutes, or until chicken is cooked through (no pink) and veggies have a nice char.
- Serve with warm tortillas and smashed guacamole.
This recipe can be served vegan/vegetarian or with meat for omnivores.
Substitute corn tortillas for gluten-free.
Hungry for more Mexican vegetarian dinners with an option for your carnivore family?
- Creamy Enchiladas Verdes 2 Ways (Vegetarian & Chicken)
- Vegetarian Chile Rellenos Casserole (add crumbled chorizo for your fam)
You deserve to eat delicious food that is also healthy fuel for all the great things you’re going to do! Be sweet to yourself today.