You’ll be a VIP if you bring these two pans of creamy, cheesy enchiladas to your next potluck or party! Options for all vegetarian or including chicken for mixed-diet families/gatherings.
- 30 corn tortillas (traditional) or small flour tortillas (more flexible)
- Olive oil
- 2 zucchinis, diced
- 2 poblanos, de-seeded and diced
- 1 can pinto beans, drained (or 2 cans, if making all vegetarian)
- 12 oz baby bella mushrooms, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 12 oz shredded quesadilla cheese
- Optional Meat: 2-3 cups cooked chicken, shredded (omit for all vegetarian enchiladas)
Enchilada Verde Sauce
- 2 jars salsa verde, mild
- 8 oz low-fat sour cream
- 1 cup shredded quesadilla cheese
- 1 cup queso fresco or cotija cheese
- Fresh cilantro, finely chopped to garnish
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat. In a little olive oil, saute the garlic, onion and mushrooms for about 5 minutes.
- Cook zucchini and poblanos. After the mushrooms are done, use the same pan to saute the zucchini and poblanos for 10 minutes.
- All Vegetarian: In a very large bowl, gently combine the mushrooms, zucchini, poblanos, pinto beans and shredded quesadilla cheese.
- 1 Vegetarian / 1 Chicken: Line up 2 bowls. Add mushrooms, zucchini, poblanos and cheese to both bowls. Add pinto beans to the vegetarian filling bowl and shredded chicken to the meat filling bowl. Gently stir each bowl.
Enchilada Verde Sauce
- In a blender, blend salsa verde and sour cream.
Assemble & Cook
- Spread a thin layer of the verde sauce on the bottom of both pans.
- Briefly warm the tortillas in the microwave.
- Dip a tortilla in the green sauce (keeps it soft and reduces cracking). Spoon filling mixture along the center of a tortilla.
- Roll the sides over the filling. Place seam-side down in the pan.
- Repeat until all tortillas are used.
- Pour verde sauce over both pans.
- Sprinkle with shredded and crumbled cheeses. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.
- Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes.
Vegetarian: For all vegetarian enchiladas, follow recipe instructions for “All Vegetarian” where indicated.
Vegan: Follow “All Vegetarian” recipe instructions. Substitute dairy-free sour cream and cheeses.
Gluten-Free: Use corn tortillas.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: vegetarian enchiladas, enchiladas verdes, vegetarian potluck