Don’t give up the best BBQ side dish, just because you’re meat-free. Easy vegan BBQ beans are sticky, sweet and simple (thanks, Instant Pot)!
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cans Great Northern beans, drained
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup black strap molasses
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- Dash liquid smoke
- 1/4 c water
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- salt to taste
- With the lid off, set Instant Pot to saute mode. Add olive oil and diced onion. IP gets hot quickly. Stir onions until softened with slightly crispy edges.
- Add beans, BBQ sauce, ketchup, molasses, mustard, maple syrup and liquid smoke. (Do not add salt until the end, as it can toughen the bean skin which takes longer to cook.) Stir to combine. Lock lid in place and set vent to sealing.
- Set Instant Pot to manual (or pressure cook, depending on your model). Use + and – buttons to adjust time to 23 minutes.
- Instant Pot will take about 5-10 minutes to come to pressure, and then will begin counting down the 23 minutes. When this has finished, the Instant Pot will beep.
- Stand back and carefully use a wooden spoon to tap the vent open, and release the steam.
- Remove the lid after the pin has dropped.
- Whisk cornstarch in water, and add to the pot.
- Set Instant Pot to saute mode again, and stir gently. Cornstarch slurry will begin to thicken the beans.
- Salt to taste at the end.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan bbq beans, vegan baked beans, vegan bbq, vegan instant pot beans