Childhood in a bowl! Kiddos will love the familiar flavors of vegan chili mac. Parents will love the hidden veggies, freezer/pantry staples & weeknight ease.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 pkg frozen Meatless Crumbles (in the US, I use “Beyond Meat Beefy Crumbles” brand)
- 14oz can pinto beans, drained
- 1 cup frozen cauliflower
- 1 cup frozen carrots
- 1 cup white mushrooms
- 28oz cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 box vegan macaroni & cheese (in the US, I use “Annie’s” brand)
- salt to taste
- Optional Toppings: sliced green onions, sliced cheddar cheese (dairy or non-dairy)
- Heat olive oil in a large pan or pot over medium heat.
- Add meatless crumbles and pinto beans.
- Microwave frozen carrots and cauliflower in a small bowl. Pour a couple tablespoons of water in. Cover with cling wrap. Poke 2-3 holes with a fork. Microwave until fork-tender (2-4 minutes).
- Pour crushed tomatoes, carrots, cauliflower and mushrooms into blender. Blend on high until smooth. If your blender is smaller, you may need to do this in 2 batches.
- Add chili powder, tomato sauce (with hidden veggies!), and vegetable broth to pan.
- Set aside the “cheese” pouch from macaroni box. Add pasta to the pan.
- Stir well to combine. Cover. Let simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring occassionally.
- In a small bowl, prepare macaroni “cheese sauce” as instructed. After the chili mac mixture has cooked for 20 minutes, add the cheese sauce.
- Season with salt/pepper to taste.
Vegetarian: This recipe is vegetarian.
Vegan: This recipe is vegan.
Gluten-Free: Substitute gluten-free noodles. Verify that the meatless crumbles you use are GF.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 395
- Sugar: 9
- Sodium: 1106
- Fat: 7.7
- Saturated Fat: 2.3
- Carbohydrates: 61.2
- Protein: 19.9
- Cholesterol: 10mg
Keywords: chili mac, chili macaroni, vegan chili mac