Ready for maximum crunch & flavor? This recipe has 3 easy hacks for baked brussel sprouts in the oven (that even your kids will love). If you’ve ever wondered how to bake brussel sprouts with PERFECT CRISPINESS… read on!
Gone are is the era of stinky, mushy, awful brussel sprouts! These poppable mini cabbages are perfect with a sweet BBQ rub.
I have 3 simple hacks to help you make perfectly crispy brussels.
The first time I made these, my daughter ate THREE WHOLE SKEWERS of brussels. Like… this 9-year-old walked to check the mail with a skewer in her hand, popping them like grapes! Seriously good.
3 Simple Hacks: How to Bake Brussel Sprouts in Oven
Tip 1: Marinate & Soften Slightly
In the past, I struggled with my roasted brussels cooking unevenly. They’d start to burn on the outside before the insides were just-right-tender. BUT! If they’re microwave/steamed for just five minutes in an easy marinade, they absorb some extra flavor and roast evenly in the oven!
- Put brussels in a large, microwave-safe glass dish.
- Pour in a mixture of water, apple cider vinegar, olive oil and salt.
- Toss/stir well to coat all of the brussels.
- Cover bowl with cling wrap, and poke 3 times with a fork.
- Microwave for 5 minutes
Tip 2: Skewers + Cooling Rack = Maximum Crispiness
Most oven-roasted brussel sprout recipes will tell you to spread them directly onto a baking sheet. But, I’ve found that the crispiness is different on the tops & bottoms, and I don’t always flip them all over right. Hey, they’re rolly-polly little guys!
So try this:
- Run the microwave-softened brussels onto a skewer
- Set a cooling rack on the baking sheet, then lay the skewers on the rack
This allows the heat to circulate ALL around the brussels for maximum crispiness! Plus, halfway through roasting, it’s a SNAP to flip them all over.
Tip 3: Raise the Oven Rack
I raise the oven rack to the 2nd or 3rd notch below the top (this will vary by oven). With the high roasting heat, it’s almost like broiling or grilling brussel sprouts. I looooove when brussels are super crunchy & have a lovely char. Raising the rack is such an easy hack!
OK, Let’s Cook Baked Brussel Sprouts!
Grab your brussel sprouts and give them a quick rinse. The only other ingredients you’ll need are olive oil, apple cider vinegar and a bomb BBQ rub.
My husband is the GRILL BOSS in our family… he’s out there in the sun, rain and snow every day. When he bought our new grill, our local mountain store gave him some of their all-time favorite BBQ rubs to try. I’d never heard of John Henry’s, but let’s just say… we burned through the sample packs in days and we moved on to full canisters. John Henry’s Sugar Maple Rub Seasoning is like BBQ CANDY, ya’ll.
I put it on these brussels to bring some sweet BBQ flavor to this veggie. If you have a favorite “sweet & smoky” type of BBQ rub, that absolutely works. I just had to share how obsessed we are with John Henry’s!
Add the olive oil, vinegar, salt and a little water to a bowl. Cover with cling wrap, poke holes and microwave for 5 minutes. Then drain the excess marinade, add most of the sweet BBQ rub, and put the brussels on skewers. Sprinkle the remaining rub over the skewers.
Lay skewers on your cooling-rack-baking-sheet combo, and roast at 425. Flip skewers after 10 minutes. Check after 20 minutes. Oven temps can vary, so you may need to add 5 minutes, depending on doneness.
I can’t even with these brussels. Please make them and let me know in the comments how you (and your kids!) liked them!
Hungry for More? Yeah, Me Too!
Ready for maximum crunch & flavor? This recipe has 3 easy hacks for roasted brussel sprouts in the oven (that even your kids will love)!
- 3 cups brussels sprouts
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1–2 Tbsp John Henry’s Sugar Maple Rub Seasoning (or sweet BBQ rub of your choice)
- Preheat oven to 425 F and raise rack to the 2nd or 3rd position closest to the top.
- Put brussels in a large, microwave-safe glass dish. Pour in a mixture of water, apple cider vinegar, olive oil and salt. Toss/stir well to coat all of the brussels. Cover bowl with cling wrap, and poke 3 times with a fork. Microwave for 5 minutes.
- Drain the excess liquid. Slide brussels onto kebab skewers, leaving just enough space between each so that they don’t touch. Sprinkle spice blend all over.
- Lay a baking rack on top of a baking sheet, and rest the skewers on top.
- Roast for 20 minutes and check for doneness. The outer leaves should have a lovely char & roasted bits, but not be burned. If they are not done yet, check every 5 minutes thereafter.
- Serve immediately.