Broken lasagna noodles smothered in vegan pesto are a shortcut for Italian “silk handkerchief” pasta. Mushrooms & zucchini are perfect for spring!
Can I just assume that you and I both adore pasta? It’s filling, delicious, fast and cheap. My daughter and I took a pasta making class together once and had SO much fun! But on a busy weeknight… we’re grabbing a box of pasta.
If you’re new to a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle, one of the easiest go-to meals is pasta + veg + sauce! You can get as creative or simple as you like. Maybe the spaghetti + tomato sauce version is getting boring? Let’s try something easy and fun (that’ll make you feel super gourmet)!
Silk handkerchief pasta – or mandilli di seta in Italian – are glossy, thin, squares of gorgeous pasta. If you’d like to make them from scratch, below video (in Italian) of the traditional way…. Buuuut, the rest of us will be breaking up lasagna noodle sheets, because we’re fancy but hangry!
Let’s Make Handkerchief Pasta & Vegan Pesto!
Boil and salt a big pot of water. Break lasagna noodles into the water. Cook until almost al dente. Gently stir occasionally to prevent clumping.
While the pasta is boiling, add all dry pesto ingredients to a food processor or high speed blender. Slowly drizzle olive oil into the mixture, until creamy. This version uses half a can of butter beans, to add a little boost of nutrition, protein and body to the pesto.
Drain most of the pasta water, reserving about 1 cup in the pot. Set the lasagna aside in a bowl. Add mushrooms and zucchini to the pot with a drizzle of olive oil. Saute until just softened (about 5 minutes).
Return the lasagna noodles to the pot. Add pesto. Stir and heat through. Serve immediately.
Hungry for more quick, vegan pasta? Try these!
- Creamy Vegan Orzo & Spring Vegetables in One Pan
- One-Pan Pearl Couscous with Smashed Tomato& Balsamic Vegetables
- Tofu & Artichoke Heart Scampi (at Connoisseurus Veg)
Broken lasagna noodles smothered in vegan pesto are a shortcut for Italian “silk handkerchief” pasta. Mushrooms & zucchini make it perfect for spring!
- 1 box lasagna noodles
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 6 baby bella mushrooms, sliced
Creamy Vegan Pesto
- 7oz butter beans, drained & rinsed
- 3 cups kale
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 1 clove garlic
- 3/4 cup pine nuts
- 3/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Fill a large pot with salted water. Bring to a boil.
- Add lasagna noodles, breaking them into 4-5 pieces as you add them.
- While the pasta cooks, add all pesto ingredients (except olive oil) in a food processor or high-speed blender. Turn processor on, and slowly drizzle olive oil until the mixture has just begun to blend smoothly.
- When the pasta is nearly al dente, drain most of the pasta water, reserving about 1 cup in the pot.
- Set the lasagna aside in a bowl.
- Add mushrooms and zucchini to the pot with a drizzle of olive oil. Saute until just softened (about 5 minutes).
- Return the lasagna noodles to the pot. Add pesto. Stir and heat through.
- Serve immediately.
This recipe is vegan & vegetarian.
Leftovers: Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Before reheating, an extra drizzle of olive oil will help rehydrate the noodles.
- Category: Pasta
- Cuisine: Italian
- Calories: 704
- Sugar: 4.1g
- Sodium: 52mg
- Fat: 37.6g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 74.5g
- Fiber: 14.9g
- Protein: 30.1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: vegan pesto, handkerchief pasta, vegan pasta