A spicy party in a bowl! Traditional Mexican chile & hominy soup gets a vegan upgrade. Slow cooker vegan pozole is deeply savory with slow cooker ease.
- 3 cups red enchilada sauce, mild
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 28 oz canned hominy, drained
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup white onion, diced
- 1/4 to 1 cup Soyrizo, depending on heat/spice preference
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- salt, to taste
- Garnish: finely shredded cabbage, sliced radishes, cilantro, lime wedges, avocado, etc.
- Add all ingredients to slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cook for 6 hours on low heat.
- Add garnish options to small bowls to top as desired.
Just like the pork-based original, the Soyrizo brand of soy-based chorizo is hot and spicy. My family likes spicy, so I used a full cup of Soyrizo. We agreed it was “HOT” 🌶🌶🌶🌶. Using 1/4 cup will bring the spiciness down. If your family does not like any spicy/hot, omit altogether OR cook separately in a small pan for adding to individual bowls.
This recipe is vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free. But please read the soyrizo label on your package to confirm it is GF.
- Category: Soup
- Method: slow cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: vegan pozole, slow cooker vegan pozole