Your go-to vegan main dish for holidays and company: easy but impressive stuffed acorn squash. Make it ahead of time and pop in the oven before serving.
- 4 acorn squashes
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter (I use Earth Balance)
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 14 oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasonings blend
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth (I use Better Than Bouillon Vegetable Broth Concentrate)
- 2 cups cornbread stuffing
Roast Acorn Squash
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Cut acorn squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds with a metal table spoon. Line a baking sheet with foil then spray lightly with cooking oil. Place squash face down. Roast for about 30 minutes or until fork tender.
Saute Stuffing Mixture
- While the squash is roasting, heat vegan butter in a non-stick pan over medium heat until melted (about 2-3 minutes)
- Add onion & red pepper and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent.
- Add pinto beans, raisins, Italian seasonings, and vegetable broth. Bring to a simmer. Cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Acorn squash should be done about now. Remove from oven and use an oven mitt & spoon to gently scoop the yellow acorn squash into the pan. Stir.
- Add cornbread stuffing to the pan. Remove from heat and stir.
- Fill squash with the cornbread mixture.
- Return pan of stuffed acorn squash to the oven, for the top to get crispy (about 15 minutes).
- This recipe is vegan.
- Vegetarians may wish to sprinkle parmesan cheese on top before returning the stuffed squashes to the oven.
- You may try substituting gluten-free cornbread stuffing, however it has not been tested with this recipe. If you do try it, please let me know how it worked!
- Make-Ahead Tip: Once the squash is stuffed, you can simply leave the pan out on the counter while you prepare the rest of the holiday meal or wait for your guests to arrive. Reheat the oven & put the squash in to reheat for about 20 minutes (or until heated through, depending on how much they cooled off).
- Category: Holiday
- Method: Roast
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: stuffed acorn squash, acorn squash stuffing, vegan holiday recipe, vegan Thanksgiving, vegan Christmas