Only vegan at the BBQ? No worries! Vegan pasta salad with Mediterranean flavors is a crowd-pleaser. It’s your new signature dish for summer parties!
Perfect Vegan Potluck Side Dish
I’m gonna save you the years of stress I felt. Each invitation to a BBQ, party, potluck, cook-out or backyard summer bash made me a little anxious. “What if they have nothing vegan or vegetarian? Will people ask me lots of embarrassing questions? What can I bring?”
Tip #1 – Elsa: Nobody cares what anybody else is eating. If they do, they’re probably a friend who is teasing you or a relative who is overstepping their bounds. Either way, be like Elsa and let it go!
Tip #2 – Signature Dish: You just need ONE signature dish to bring that you’ll love, that fits your food goals, and (bonus points) is something that everyone else will enjoy, too.
Tip #3 – Pasta Salad: Odds are good that someone else will bring fruit and a lettuce salad. So a pasta salad is your sweet spot: cool and refreshing, it’s not “weird hippie food” & everyone already knows what it is, it’s easy to add beans or chickpeas to for a little protein, and it is just filling enough without slowing you down.
Let’s Make Vegan Pasta Salad!
I love cavatappi pasta because it’s a fun corkscrew shape and it has little ridges that hold dressings/sauces well.
Every ingredient in this recipe is a pantry item, except for the cucumber. Which is perfect for a last-minute invitation from the neighbors! Jars/cans of chickpeas, roasted red peppers, marinated artichokes, sundried tomatoes and olives bring big Mediterranean flavor with minimal effort.
Boil the pasta, then rinse under cool water. Add all of the veggies. Stir a quick dressing of olive oil, vinegar, Italian seasonings blend and S&P.
And I have to brag on my 9yo: she DEVOURED this pasta salad for dinner last night. I would never have eaten olives and artichokes as a kid, but she is obsessed with the strong, salty flavors. *shrug* If your kiddo has a pickier palate, this dish is easy to “pick out” just the pasta and cucumbers (or whatever floats their boat).
Hungry for more vegan BBQ dishes?
- Mango BBQ pulled jackfruit hits the spot with lime cilantro slaw
- Spicy Asian Cucumber Salad is refreshing and cool with a kick (recipe by Jamie at Drive Me Hungry)
- Mango Salad with Spicy Mango Dressing is sweet & crunchy… and might make you forget you’re eating your veggies! (recipe by Lizet at Chipa by the Dozen)
- 5-Ingredient Pineapple Coconut Smoothie will be the perfect drink for lounging in the sun! (recipe by Delaine at Down Home Delish)
Printable Recipe for Vegan Pasta SaladPrint
Only vegan at the BBQ? No worries! Vegan pasta salad with Mediterranean flavors is a crowd-pleaser. It’s your new signature dish for summer party!
- 1 lb. cavatappi pasta
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Italian seasonings blend
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 cucumber
- 8oz roasted red peppers, drained
- 6oz marinated artichokes, drained
- 14oz chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup black olives
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- When pasta is al dente, drain water and rinse noodles in cold water.
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil, vinegar, and seasonings.
- Add pasta and veggies to a large serving bowl.
- Pour dressing over the pasta when you are ready to eat. If you are not serving the salad immediately, toss noodles in a small drizzle of olive oil to prevent clumping.
This recipe is vegan.
For a vegetarian version, cubed feta cheese or bocconcini (small “pearl” mozzarella balls) may be added.
For a gluten-free version, you may try substituting a gluten-free pasta (rice pasta, lentil pasta, chickpea pasta, etc). However it has not been tested with this recipe yet.
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: American