You want the luscious lasagna, but your family is getting hangry. Skillet lasagna with spinach saves the day: one pan + 30 minutes = your new go-to!
Sometimes we have a little extra time to make that cool recipe we found on Pinterest. Sometimes we have hangry kids, the cat threw up and our brain is on empty. (🙋🏼♀️)
NOW is the time, people! Pour pasta sauce in a pan and cook the pasta in the sauce (hello, less dishes). Then add some cheese… and maybe a veg or two. And get on with dinner, Vegetarian skillet lasagna with spinach has always got your back.
Mixed-Diet Tip: Is your family a mix of veg eaters & meat eaters? Reheat leftover meat. The carnivores in your crew can add it to their bowl, while the herbivores can enjoy the lasagna as-is.
Let’s Make Skillet Lasagna with Spinach!
This couldn’t be easier. If you’ve made pasta before, you can make this.
Cook some onion and herbs. Add pasta sauce and pasta. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Stir in ricotta cheese and a bag of baby spinach. Yeah, it’ll look enormous and your kids will freak out. It’s ok! It cooks down in mere minutes. Just give it a few good (careful) stirs.
This gorgeous, cheesy skillet of pasta is vegetarian – perfect for Meatless Monday. Spinach gives a significant boost of nutrition. Because – c’mon – most of us aren’t getting enough greens. Me included!
Add mozzarella at the end. As soon as the spoon pulls lovely, cheesy strings from the pan, call the kids to the table!
Vegan Substitutions: For a vegan version of skillet lasagna, look for 1) a dairy-free ricotta-style cheeses, and 2) Miyokos “Mozz” in a health food store or natural grocer.
Whether you regularly make homemade dinners, or it’s a special treat in your busy life, you are doing a GREAT job!
Hungry for more kid-friendly, weeknight meals?
- Vegan Sweet & Sour “Chicken”
- One-Pot Vegan Chili Mac with Hidden Veggies
- Cheap Vegan Sheet Pan Fajitas
- Ketchup Fried Rice at Drive Me Hungry
You want the cheesy comfort of lasagna, but your family is getting hangry. Vegetarian skillet lasagna with spinach saves the day: one pan + 30 minutes = your new go-to!
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 40 oz pasta sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 3 c. campanelle pasta
- 1 c. lowfat ricotta
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 6 oz baby spinach
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add diced onions and saute until transparent.
- Add tomato sauce, water, garlic and Italian seasonings. Stir to combine.
- Add pasta to the tomato sauce mixture.
- Cover. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occassionally.
- Add ricotta to the skillet. Top with spinach. (It will look like a huge pile, but quickly reduces in size).
- Stir the mixture gently, folding the raw spinach leaves into the hot pasta.
- Once well combined, add mozzarella and stir.
Vegetarian: This recipe is vegetarian.
Vegan: For vegan skillet lasagna, substitute vegan “cheeze” for ricotta and mozzarella. I recommend Miyokos Mozz.
Gluten-Free: I have not tested this recipe by substituting gluten-free pasta. However, it may work similarly. I would stir and check the pasta more frequently for doneness.
Keywords: skillet lasagna, vegetarian skillet lasagna