You want the cheesy comfort of lasagna, but your family is getting hangry. Vegetarian skillet lasagna with spinach saves the day: one pan + 30 minutes = your new go-to!
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 40 oz pasta sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 3 c. campanelle pasta
- 1 c. lowfat ricotta
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 6 oz baby spinach
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add diced onions and saute until transparent.
- Add tomato sauce, water, garlic and Italian seasonings. Stir to combine.
- Add pasta to the tomato sauce mixture.
- Cover. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occassionally.
- Add ricotta to the skillet. Top with spinach. (It will look like a huge pile, but quickly reduces in size).
- Stir the mixture gently, folding the raw spinach leaves into the hot pasta.
- Once well combined, add mozzarella and stir.
Vegetarian: This recipe is vegetarian.
Vegan: For vegan skillet lasagna, substitute vegan “cheeze” for ricotta and mozzarella. I recommend Miyokos Mozz.
Gluten-Free: I have not tested this recipe by substituting gluten-free pasta. However, it may work similarly. I would stir and check the pasta more frequently for doneness.
Keywords: skillet lasagna, vegetarian skillet lasagna